The verb to be is used to say something about a person, thing, or state, to show a permanent or temporary quality, state, job, etc.
These are some examples to sentences with the verb to be:
|He is 25 years old|
|I am not a professional gamer|
|Mr Beast is a famous YouTuber|
|She is really beautiful|
|We are very friendly|
Now let’s learn more about the uses of the verb to be and let’s also check many examples that will master this verb.
Table of Contents
Verb to Be: Uses and Examples
We use the verb to be to talk about the age:
- I am 35 years old
- He is 41 years old
- She is 19 years old
- We are 22 years old
- They are more than 25 years old
We use the verb to talk about the profession we have:
- I am a lawyer
- You are a good student
- He is a famous streamer
- She is not a teacher
- We are Youtubers and Bloggers
We use the verb to be to talk about the physical appearance
- I am kinda tall
- She is thin
- He is short
- We are in shape
- They are fit
We use the verb to be to indicate where we are:
- I am in the supermarket
- He is in another room
- She is in the hospital
- They are in the bakery
- We are at the university
We use the verb to be to talk about our personality:
- I am an easy-going guy
- He is kinda bossy
- She is a happy girl
- We are very friendly
- They are clever
We use the verb to be to introduce ourselves:
- I am Janet
- She is my friend Nathan
- He is my teacher
- We are your new managers
- They are my lawyers
We use the verb to be to indicate our nationality
- I am italian
- He is from Sweden
- She is French
- We are Mexicans
- They are from Brazil
Verb to Be Examples: Affirmative
These are some affirmative sentences with the verb to be
- I am 19 years old
- I am an Spanish teacher
- She is my girlfriend
- She is not here at the moment
- He is a lawyer
- He is thin
- They are fit
- They are in shape
- It is black
- It is white
Verb to Be Examples: Negative
These are some examples of negative sentences with the verb to be
- I am not crazy
- I am not happy
- She is not my friend
- She is not my enemy
- We are not lawyers
- We are not private investigators
- They are not in shape
- They are not smart
Verb to Be Examples: Closed Questions
These are some examples of yes or no questions with the verb to be
- are you crazy?
- Are you my friend?
- Are you with me?
- Is she your girlfriend?
- Is she your teacher?
- Is she my classmate?
- Are we in the same high school?
- Are we ready to play?
- Are they smart?
- Are they clever?
- Are they happy?
Verb to Be Examples: Open Questions
These are some of the most common questions with the verb to be
- Where are you from?
- I am from Denmark
- Who are you?
- I am your new boss
- Where are you?
- I am at the gas station
- Who is she?
- She is my girlfriend?
- Why are you here?
- I was looking for something
- Where is your brother?
- He already left this morning
Verb to Be Examples: Tag Questions
These are some example of tag questions with the verb to be
- She is beautiful, isn’t she?
- We are the best, aren’t we?
- They are cool, aren’t they?
- She is your teacher, isn’t she?
- It is broken, isn’t it?
- You are in the university, aren’t you?
These are some tag questions with answers
- She is pregnant, isn’t she?
- Yes, the baby is due in december
- She is our new boss, isn’t she?
- No, she is from the Human Resources department
- We are the winners, aren’t we?
- Yes, we got two airplane tickets
- They aren’t guilty, are they?
- I am not sure, detectives haven’t reached their conclusions yet
More English Lessons
I hope that you have learned a lot reading this post, the verb to be is one of the most important verbs in English.
These are some posts related to grammar that you might want to check out
- 100 Simple Present Tense Examples
- 100 Present Perfect Continuous Examples
- 100 Present Perfect Examples
- 50 Future Continuous Tense Examples
- 50 Present Progressive Sentences
- 30 Sentences with Already
- 40 Sentences with was and Were
In case you have questions, feel free to message me via Facebook or Twitter