As a Spanish language learner, one of the most important things you need to master is how to ask questions correctly.
One common question word that is often used in Spanish is “dónde”, which means “where” in English.
In this guide, we’ll go over the different ways to use “donde” to make questions, the types of questions you can ask, and some examples to help you understand how to use this question word correctly.
Table of Contents
Basic usage of “dónde”
“Dónde” is a question word that is used to ask about the location or whereabouts of something or someone. For example:
- ¿Dónde estás? (Where are you?)
- ¿Dónde está la biblioteca? (Where is the library?)
- ¿Dónde vive tu familia? (Where does your family live?)
Position of “dónde” in a sentence
In Spanish, question words such as “dónde” usually come at the beginning of a sentence. For example:
- ¿Dónde está el baño? (Where is the bathroom?)
- ¿Dónde vas a pasar tus vacaciones? (Where are you going to spend your vacation?)
- ¿Dónde compraste ese vestido? (Where did you buy that dress?)
Other ways to use “dónde”
Apart from asking about location, “dónde” can also be used in other ways:
- ¿De dónde eres? (Where are you from?)
- ¿Hasta dónde quieres ir? (How far do you want to go?)
- ¿Por dónde empezamos? (Where do we start?)
In these examples, “dónde” is used to ask about the origin, distance, and starting point, respectively.
To master the usage of “dónde”, here are some practice exercises you can try:
|SPA||¿Dónde estás ahora mismo?|
|EN||Where are you right now?|
|SPA||¿Dónde vives en este momento?|
|EN||Where do you live at the moment?|
|SPA||¿Dónde te gustaría ir de vacaciones?|
|EN||Where would you like to go on vacation?|
|SPA||¿Dónde se encuentra la Torre Eiffel?|
|EN||Where is the Eiffel Tower?|