In the contemporary world, advertising has become an inseparable part of our daily lives. From the television screen to social media feeds, billboards on our commute, and even the subtle branding on our favorite products, advertisements surround us at every turn.
They shape our preferences, influence our decisions, and reflect the values of our society.
In this post we delve into the multifaceted realm of advertising, exploring its various forms through a series of interesting discussion questions about advertising
Table of Contents
General Questions about Advertising
These are some general questions about advertising
- What makes an ad memorable?
- Can you remember an advertising campaign that caught your attention?
- What kinds of ads do you like and why?
- What is the funniest advertisement you have seen? Describe it.
- What is the funniest commercial that you have seen? Describe it.
- Do you find advertising persuasive?
- What are some effective adverts you have seen lately?
- What are some ineffective adverts you have seen lately?
- What gets you interested in an advertisement?
- What makes a good ad?
- What do you think of celebrity endorsements?
- Which celebrities advertise which products?
- Do favorite or annoying celebrities make you want or not want to buy a product?
- Should there be advertisement-free zones?
Types and Methods of Advertising:
These are some general questions about the different advertising types and methods
Types of Advertising:
- What are the different types of advertising? (Eg. TV)
- What are the different methods of advertising?
- Can you name three different ways of advertising? (For example, different media)
- What forms of advertising are there?
- How would you advertise something you wanted to sell?
- Do you think the Internet and cable/satellite TV have become more important than national TV for advertising products?
These are some questions about the ethical considerations of advertising
Advertising to Specific Demographics:
- Should advertisers be allowed to advertise to children?
- Should alcohol or tobacco companies be allowed to advertise? Why or why not?
- Do you think it’s ok to show ads aimed at children on television? Why/ why not?
- Do you think the government has the right to ban advertising for junk food and soda during children’s TV programs? What do you think about this? Why do you think they made this decision?
- Do political parties in (country) use TV advertising? If so, should they?
Economic and Cultural Impact
This section explores the economic and cultural impacto of advertising
- Do you buy products because of advertising?
- Why do you buy one product over another?
- Do you think ads influence the choices you make when you buy clothes?
- Do you often buy a particular brand when you buy clothes?
Impact on Society:
- What are the harmful and the beneficial effects of advertising?
- Do you think that ads create a desire for more and more material possessions?
Media and Technology:
- Do you think there are too many ads in television? Why/why not?
- Do you think there are too many ads in magazines? Why/why not?
- Do you think there are too many ads in newspapers? Why/why not?
Changes Over Time:
- What differences can you notice between commercials from 10 or 15 years ago and commercials today?
Personal Preferences and Habits:
- Do people use coupons where you live?
- What is the most advertised product in your country?
- What brand is the ketchup/toothpaste you or your parents buy?
- When you watch TV, how much attention do you pay to the advertisements?
- Which advertisements do you like most and which least? Why?