Wars are defined as military conflicts that involve opposing groups of people from different countries, tribes, or other organizations. It involves the use of weapons to fight and defeat an enemy.
Wars raise many questions such as the motivations behind it, the questions of who is to blame, their causes, and how they could be prevented.
The following are discussion questions about war that can be used to create conversations in informative settings.
Table of Contents
Questions about Wars
These are the best discussion questions about war
- What do you think about war?
- What do you know about wars?
- Why does your country have an army?
- Why there has been war throughout history?
- How can you prevent war?
- How does war affect people’s morality?
- How do you fight against terrorism?
- Do you think war can be justified?
- Does war help or harm the economy?
- Are wars some type of business?
- Are there any alternatives to war?
- Have you been in the military?
- Have you ever lived in a country at war?
- What do you think about countries that don’t have an army?
- What cause would you fight/die for?
- What are some example of very peaceful countries?
- What countries have the stronger armies?
- Do you think it is easier now for people to live in peace than before?
- Are modern weapons more destructive than older ones?
- Can we reduce the number of deaths caused by war?
Questions about Wars and Soldiers
These are some questions about soldiers
- Would you volunteer to become a soldier?
- Do you want to become a soldier?
- Do you think soldiers are well paid?
- Which job would you like to have in the army?
- Would you fight for another country other than your own?
- Which jobs would you not like to do in the military?
- How could a soldier get out of the army?
- Why do you think people join the army?
- Do you think that being a soldier is dangerous?
- How long would you like to be a soldier?
- What questions do you have about soldiers and/or war?
- Should women be soldiers?
- Why do some soldiers suffer discrimination?
- Why do people dislike soldiers?
- Do you think that families suffer a lot when their sons go to war?
The Consequences of Wars
These are some of the questions to think about the consequences of war
- How long does it take for cities to recover from the devastation caused by war?
- How could war victims recover from the damage done by war?
- How is the economy of the countries affected by war?
- How do people recover from the psychological effects of war?
- Can war crimes be forgotten?
- What are the effects of war on the environment?
- What do you think about all the innocent people killed by wars?
How Much do you know about Wars?
Here are 25 open-ended questions about significant events in wars:
- When did World War I start?
- Which battle is often considered the turning point of the American Civil War?
- What was the code name for the Allied invasion of Normandy during World War II?
- In which year did the United States drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
- What event triggered the start of the Korean War in 1950?
- Who was the military leader of Nazi Germany during World War II?
- Which ancient war is famous for the use of the Trojan Horse?
- What was the significance of the Battle of Midway in World War II?
- Which conflict is often referred to as the “Forgotten War”?
- When did the Gulf War take place?
- Which war marked the end of Napoleon Bonaparte’s rule in France?
- What was the significance of the Battle of Stalingrad during World War II?
- When did the Vietnam War officially end?
- Who were the main belligerents in the Falklands War in 1982?
- What was the outcome of the Yom Kippur War in 1973?
- What event led to the United States entering World War II?
- Which treaty officially ended World War II?
- When did the Cuban Missile Crisis occur, and what was its outcome?
- What was the impact of the Opium Wars on China in the 19th century?
- Who were the Central Powers in World War I?
More ESL Conversation Questions
These are some posts with more ESL conversation questions